Plant Care Tips: Calathea Ornata
Tips to make your Calathea Ornata Thrive!
The Calathea ‘Ornata’, also known as a “Peacock Plant” or “Zebra Plant,” is known for its beautiful, brightly colored, upright, oval leaves. The various Calathea varieties boast leaves with purple undersides and different vibrant colorful patterns on the top side.
Native to the rainforests of South America, this tropical beauty requires a bit of extra care to ensure it thrives in your home.
- Your Calathea Ornata will thrive in indirect, filtered light. This means avoid exposing it to direct sunlight, as this can scorch its leaves.
- Consider placing your Calathea near a north or east-facing window where it can receive gentle sunlight without being exposed to harsh rays.
Temperature and Humidity:
- Maintain a warm and humid environment for your Calathea, to mimick its natural habitat. Aim for room temperatures between 65-80°F.
- Provide extra humidity by misting the leaves regularly or placing a tray of water near the plant.
- Your Calathea prefers moist but not waterlogged soil. Water when the top inch of the soil feels dry. Use room temperature water and avoid letting the soil dry out completely between waterings. However, be cautious not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
- Your plant may experience slower growth during the winter months: during this time, reduce watering until the Spring.
- Remove any yellow or damaged leaves promptly to encourage new growth and maintain the plant's appearance.
- Feel free to gently wipe the leaves with a damp cloth to keep them dust-free and enhance their glossy look.
- If you choose, you may feed your Calathea with a balanced liquid fertilizer every 4-6 weeks during the growing season (spring and summer) to help with growth. Dilute the fertilizer to half the recommended strength to prevent overfeeding.
By providing the right balance of light, humidity, water, and nutrients, you can ensure your Calathea Ornata thrives! Remember that each plant is unique, so pay attention to its specific needs and adjust your care routine accordingly. We can always help with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org :)
Shop 'The Gracie' here 😊Happy planting!